Aug 8, 201705:23 PMBlog
109 years old, still family-owned
August 8, 1908, was recorded as the day Kitsap (County) Bank opened its doors in a small concrete building at the corner of Bay and Frederick Streets in downtown Port Orchard.
Today, that intersection is nearby to a modern headquarters for this regional bank that remains under the ownership control and direction from descendants of Frank Langer, who emigrated from his North Dakota roots following graduation at Harvard Law School to the shores of Puget Sound and joined the financial unit in its earliest days. He later acquired the bank, serving as president for 22 years until his death in 1952, when his widow succeeded him for another 20+ years.
Frank and Hannah’s daughter, Helen Langer Smith, was elected chair of the Kitsap Bank board in 1986, serving 25 years until her daughter, Cydly Langer Smith, succeeded her. Helen now serves as vice chair.
Today, Kitsap Bank serves 20 community locations in six western Washington counties, with more than $1 billion in assets.