Mar 8, 201805:13 PMBlog
Washington adds 82,400 jobs in 2017
Washington added 6,800 new jobs in the month of January, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics report for January 2018.
The state’s preliminary seasonally adjusted unemployment rate for January 2018 was 4.7 percent. In January 2017, unemployment was at 4.9 percent. The nationwide unemployment rate for January of this year was 4.1 percent.
Highlights from the report, in the past year:
• Washington’s labor force increased by 82,400 workers
• The Seattle-area labor force increased by 42,700 workers
Highlights from the report, in January 2018:
• The private sector increased by 7,100 workers
• The public sector lost 300 workers
• The largest increase in worker numbers was in the construction field, which added 3,100 jobs
• The professional and business services sector added 2,000 jobs
• The education and health services sector lost 1,100 jobs
• The government sector lost 300 jobs